HPPR Employment Opportunities
Director of Business Support
Position: This full-time position leads and implements HPPR’s business support program including sponsorships (including underwriting), business challenges during fund drives, and supervision of underwriting sales reps.
Includes base salary plus commission and full benefits. Send cover letter and résumé via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply is September 5, 2021.
Supervisor: Executive Director
Location: Garden City, KS
Business Support Solicitation and Cultivation
- Generate business leads for underwriting representatives (in addition to their own lead generation)
- Track leads for underwriting representatives that contribute to meeting departmental revenue goals (i.e. pipeline sheet).
- Assign and maintain trade agreements with local businesses (e.g. hotels, restaurants), with ED approval.
- Establish and maintain all “House” accounts.
- Contact current underwriters, midway through contract, to ensure their satisfaction with HPPR’s underwriting program (e.g. passing on listener feedback, arranging direct listener feedback, message changes, program changes, on-air testimonials).
- Work closely with the underwriting representatives to increase the close-rate on proposals that are made (e.g. making joint calls, better "pitch-point" development, ride-alongs, and pitch coaching).
- Develop support materials for underwriting sales including print kits, sales presentations and web content.
- Monitor changes and developments in business support related areas including underwriting guidelines and content, traffic software, media kit design and content, etc.
Administrative and Management
- Manage and supervise business underwriting representatives, providing necessary guidance, leadership, and support so that sales goals are met and business relationships are created, maintained and enhanced.
- Supervise ongoing training and professional development activities for underwriting staff.
- Facilitate regular meetings with underwriting staff.
- Provide regular feedback and conducts annual performance reviews for all underwriting representatives.
- Participate in development department planning and revenue goal setting.
- Provide monthly reports of sales activity, analysis, data and information related to underwriting and business support initiatives.
- Regularly track the sales stage, next follow-up, projected contract size, and projected close probability of all new contract leads and renewals (i.e. pipeline report); uses report to manage and coach underwriting representatives, forecast monthly sales, ensure and adequate supply of leads to meet goals, and track win-rates over time.
- Network with other public broadcasting business support managers, or similar position, to solicit best practices.
- Understand and comply with all FCC guidelines regarding underwriting copy for non-commercial station.
- Final approval on all on-air underwriting copy.
- Regularly monitor rates and increase/decrease as necessary
- Assist with on-air and off-air fundraising activities and station special events
- Some travel required, including occasional overnights
Business Support Planning
- Develop revenue and expense projections and monitor underwriting budget.
- Set underwriting sales goals for each representative and monitor activities, billings and collectibles.
- Solicit underwriting sales contracts in Kansas and Colorado.
- Identify and pursue new underwriting revenue opportunities (e.g. website banners, podcasting inserts, corporate sponsorships of events, etc.).
- Identify and solicit fund drive challenges from the business community.
Skills & Experience
- Previous outside sales experience required, preferably in broadcast sales, with a proven track record of developing new business accounts and securing renewals to achieve revenue goals and growth.
- Knowledge of Allegiance traffic software
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and other business sales management software preferred, but will train the right candidate
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Management experience preferred
- Knowledge of public radio programming preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity HPPR is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that is fully committed to achieving a diverse staff. Equal opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
High Plains Public Radio (HPPR) is the primary public radio service for the High Plains region of western Kansas, southeastern Colorado, and the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles. HPPR offers a daily service of news, music and information. HPPR’s main studio/office in Garden City, KS. A second, full-service studio/office is located in Amarillo, TX.