Luke Clayton invites you to his camp to talk about the great outdoors.
Every Saturday morning at 7:35 a.m. CT during Weekend Edition, he'll be telling hunting and fishing stories, and a whole lot more. You'll learn how to make sausage, cook over a campfire, get some wild game recipes, as well as inside tips on how you can become a more successful outdoorsman.
Luke was raised in very rural Red River County where he grew up hunting and fishing. He began amateurishly writing about his adventures at the age of 12, the accounts of his boyhood outings often filling several pages of his Big Chief tablets.
Luke began writing professionally in his 20s and currently writes an outdoor newspaper column that runs weekly in 45 Texas newspapers. Luke is hunting/shooting columnist for Texas Wildlife Magazine and writes regular features for several other outdoor magazines, including Airgun Hobbyist, where he is also Hunting Editor.
Luke and his good buddy Jeff Rice film and produce a weekly outdoor show, A Sportsman’s Life. Please go to YouTube and subscribe. Radio is a fun endeavor for Luke and his shows are known for his relaxed and ‘down home’ style.
Luke is on the pro staff of Gearhead Archery, Airforce Airguns, Smokin Tex Electric Smokers, Nielsen Specialty Ammo and Texas Raised Hunting Products.
Luke covered hunting for the current Texas Almanac, one of the oldest and most revered publications in the state.
With almost 30 years under his belt as an outdoors writer, Luke has no intention of slowing down anytime soon. He continues to love the lifestyle that has been so fulfilling throughout his life.
Support for High Plains Outdoors comes from the following sponsors:
- AMG Global Vision. www.amgglobalvision. Com Affordable, thermal scopes and night vision
- Butcher Packer Supply. Everything for the outdoor cook, including a wide range of cures and seasonings for making sausage and jerky.
- AirForce Airguns. Airguns designed to meet a variety of needs. Online at: AirForce.com
- Smokin Tex Electric Smokers. Smoke meat the easy way. Their website is: smokintex.com
- Pyramyd Air. Pyramid Air is a one-stop shop for everything airgun-related.
- Striper Express on Lake Texoma.
- Texas Raised Hunting Products.
- Signature Properties, Your one stop shop for real estate in North East Texas.
- The Silver Spur Resort | Lodging, Events, & Weddings in Canton, Texas The Silver Spur Resort specializes in camping, lodging, weddings and special events in Canton, TX. Perfect for First Monday Trade Days! www.thesilverspurresort.com
- GEAR THE HUNT www.gearthehunt.com Gear for the night hunter including the Rattler brand of quality, affordable thermal scopes by AGM.
- HORIZON BBQ SMOKERS WWW.HORIZONBBQSMOKERS.COM America's BBQ Outfitter
In today's show Luke talks a bit about getting started shooting airguns, especially big bore airguns.
With all the heat lately, he thought a bit of humor might be in order to help us think about fall, hunting seasons and cooler weather.
This week Luke talks about catching white bass (sandbass as they are often called).
This week, Luke gives some tips on making barbeque and cooking with wood fired smokers he learned from his friend Roger Davidson.
Shooting and hunting with a bow is Luke's topic this week...
If you've considered fishing from a remote fly in fishing camp in Saskatchewan, you don't want to miss listening to today's show.
Luke relates his method of making berry cobbler from wild dewberries.
Luke Discussing shallow water catfishing with Lake Guide Seth Vanover.
If you are going to live the life of an outdoorsman, you had better learn to cook.
Luke tells about an exciting shallow water crappie trip he recently enjoyed with Guide Brandon Sargent